I wanted to share with you my booklist! This is a completely free book list for Charlotte Mason homeschoolers covering Civil War to Modern History for Form 3.
I will be adding more forms and history streams as I go along.
You are welcome to add to or take away from this book list and tweak it to fit your needs.
Most of these books can be found for free in the public domain or Amazon Kindle. You may also be able to find most of these titles at your local library.
Places to find cheap books if you’d rather buy them:
This post may contain affiliate links which means I will receive a small commission if you click on my link and purchase an item. (At no cost to you.) I only promote things that I absolutely back & believe in. Read my full disclosure here.
Free Book List for Charlotte Mason Homeschoolers Civil War to Modern History Form 3
- Daily Grammar Lessons 301-440* http://www.dailygrammar.com/archive.html
*You are welcome to choose any set of lessons your student needs to work on.
American/ World History
- George Washington Carver: From Slave to Scientist, Janet & Geoff Benge (Biography)
- Abe Lincoln Grows Up, Carl Sandburg (Biography)
- First World War (Usborne)
- Eleanor Roosevelt First Lady of the World, Doris Faber (Biography)*
- The Story of the World Vol. 4 Susan Wise Bauer (Spine)
*The biography of Eleanor Roosevelt might be hard to find. You can sub-in another on Eleanor Roosevelt or pick one about Theodore Roosevelt.
- Augustus Caesar’s World by Genevieve Foster (Spine)
- A Triumph for Flavius
- The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt (Landmark Books)
Read Aloud/ Alone:
- Little Women Louisa May Alcott
- The Call of the Wild Jack London
- The Secret Garden Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Tom Sawyer Mark Twain
- Robin Hood
- Anne of Green Gables
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Mark Twain
- Black Ships Before Troy: The Story of ‘The Iliad’
- Where the Red Fern Grows
- Number the Stars
- Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes
You may choose your own favorite classics if you’ve already read these. Most of these titles can be found for free via Amazon Kindle shop.
- Nature Notebook The Good & The Beautiful, Nature Notebook, or use your own
- Free notebooking journal pages >> Free Nature Study Journal
- Nature Anatomy Julia Rothman *Suggested Resource
- Handbook of Nature Study
*This can be substituted with any other nature notebook.
- Mystery of the Periodic Table Benjamin Wiker
- The Wonder Book of Chemistry (1922) or The Story-book of Science (Illustrated)
- Science Experiments via Pinterest
- Ordinary Genius: The Story of Albert Einstein (Trailblazer Biographies) or Another Suitable Biography
Christian History/ Bible
- Creationism It Couldn’t Just Happen: Knowing the Truth About God’s Awesome Creation Lawrence O. Richards *optional
- Pilgrims Progress John Bunyon (If you haven’t already read it.)
- KJV Bible >> Read through Proverbs, Matthew, & Genesis
All of these resources are optional. These are the books I have and love to refer back to.
- For the Children’s Sake Susan Schaeffer Macaulay
- When Children Love to Learn Elaine Cooper
- A Charlotte Mason Education Catherine Levison * There’s a great example of scheduling your homeschool by form in this book!
- A Charlotte Mason Companion Karen Andreola
- CM 6 Volume Series Charlotte Mason You can read this for free on amblesideonline.com
Choose one or use your own.
- Free 7th-grade math: CTC Math or one of the free choices.
- Free 8th-grade math: CTC Math or a free math curriculum like Ray’s.
- Free 9th-grade math: CTC Math or Jacob’s Elementary Algebra (Algebra 1) or choose one of the free choices.
- Duolingo App for Latin
- https://www.learnalanguage.com/ for Foreign Language of Choice
For those who need to brush up on their cursive or print.
- https://www.handwritingworksheets.com/ (Create your own worksheets.)
Dictation should be taken out of books your child is currently reading. One – two paragraphs per lesson depending upon your child’s ability.
We keep a notebook for dictation work.
Famous Composers Year one or Ambleside Rotation.
NT: Proverbs, Esther
OT: Revelation (Take it slow as Revelation can be one of the more difficult books of the Bible to interpret.)
Bible Study or Devotion of Choice that matches your beliefs & values.
Plutarch & Citizenship
- The Story of David Livingstone
- A Quick Introduction to the African Continent
- Home Geography C.C. Long
Scheduling Your School Year
If you need help setting up a schedule for your school year, I highly recommend ADE scheduling cards. They are not free, but they are very affordable and worth every penny. They are sanity savers!